Falvey Memorial Library serves as the premier source of academic information for the Villanova University community through its collections, educational and consulting services, innovative technology, programming and physical facilities.
The library provides relevant print, electronic, and audiovisual collections to support the learning and research activities of students and faculty, complemented by specialized collections reflecting the University's Augustinian heritage and character. The library participates with other libraries in the preservation of knowledge and cooperates in resource sharing at local, regional, national and international levels. The library supports and invests in new modes of scholarly publishing.
Villanova librarians assist students with critical and evaluative use of information both through personal consultation and through formal curriculum-related instruction. The library engages in continuous assessment of the quality and value of its services to its constituents. The library embraces technological innovation to make the best available resources accessible to students and faculty at the point of need.
The library seeks to provide an inviting physical environment conducive to study, learning, and research. The library sponsors events and programming that enrich the cultural and intellectual life of the campus and the surrounding community.
In 1963, the Villanova University Library was named and rededicated in honor of the late Rev. Daniel P. Falvey, O.S.A., who had devoted nearly half his life to the library. Father Falvey was born in 1906 in Holyoke, Massachusetts. He entered the Augustinian Order in 1928 and received his A.B. from Villanova in 1931. He was ordained in Washington, D. C., in 1934, and did graduate work at George Washington University. In 1940, he received his master's degree in Library Science from Columbia University and in 1958 a Doctor of Library Science from St. Francis College, Loretto, Pa.
In 1935, Father Falvey was appointed Assistant Librarian at Villanova. He served in this capacity for five years and then in 1940 became Librarian. When the new library was erected after the war, Father Falvey devoted himself to the project in order to make the building as modern and as functional as any library in the country. He organized the "Friends of Villanova Library" committee which was made up of friends and alumni of the University. The purpose of the committee was to raise funds for the new structure. Father Falvey, working with the committee, succeeded in raising nearly a million dollars. But Father Falvey did not concern himself solely with the physical aspects of financing, building and maintaining a library. He was also dedicated to creating a scholarly atmosphere for all members of the academic community. One of his contributions was his inauguration of the Catholic Publications which meets annually at the University.
In addition to his qualifications as organizer and innovator, his personal qualities of perseverance and dedication, humility and generosity of spirit endeared him to all who knew him.
Until his death in 1962, Father Falvey was planning improvement for the Library and constantly adding new materials, to keep it as complete and up-to-date as possible.
The new addition to the library sustains the long-range planning that Father Falvey made a tradition at Villanova. It was fitting, therefore, that the library bear his name to commemorate his years of service.
(Falvey Memorial Library dedication program. Villanova, Pa.: Villanova University, November 16, 1968)