The office and philosophy : scenes from the unexamined life /
Unites philosophy with one of the best shows ever: The Office. Addressing both the current American incarnation and the original British version, The Office and philosophy brings these two wonders of civilization together for a frolic through the mundane yet curiously edifying worlds of Scranton...
|Other Authors:||Wisnewski, Jeremy.|
Malden, MA :
The Blackwell philosophy and popculture series
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Introductory memo: A note to our suppliers in the US and the UK : support philosophy, it uses lots of paper!
- A note to bitter Brits and confused Americans...
- The dundies : some awards for making this book possible
- Memo 1: paper thin morality
- Screws and nails : paper tigers and moral monsters in The office (US) / J. Jeremy Wisnewski
- Flirting in The office : what can Jim and Pam's romantic antics teach us about moral philosophy? (US) / Mark D. White
- Can Michael ever learn? empathy and the self-other gap (US) / Andrew Terjesen
- Leaving the dice alone : pointlessness and helplessness at Wernham-Hogg (UK) / Wim Vandekerckhove and Eva E. Tsahuridu
- The virtues of humor : what The office can teach us about Aristotle's ethics (UK) / Sean McAleer
- Memo 2: know thyself!
- Pam and Jim on the make : the epistemology of self-deception (US) / Stefanie Rocknak
- What Dwight doesn't know can't hurt him
- or can it? deception and self-deception in The office (US) / Randall M. Jensen
- Authenticity or happiness? Michael Scott and the ethics of self-deception (US) / Jonathan Evans and Peter Murphy
- Humiliation in The office (and at home) (US) / John Elia
- Memo 3: funny and not-so-funny business
- Laughter between distraction and awakening : Marxist themes in The office (US) / Michael Bray
- Being-in-The office : Sartre, the look, and the viewer (US) / Matthew P. Meyer and Gregory J. Schneider
- A boy who swims faster than a shark : Jean Baudrillard visits The office (UK) / Russell Manning
- Memo 4: mind your business!
- Stakeholders vs. stockholders in The office (US) / Rory E. Kraft, Jr.
- Attacking with the north : affirmative action and The office (US) / David Kyle Johnson
- Darkies, dwarves, and benders : political (in)correctness in The office (UK) / Thomas Nys
- The hostile office : Michael as a sexual harasser (US) / Keith Dromm
- The obscene watermark : corporate responsibility at Dunder-Mifflin (US) / David Kyle Johnson
- Memo 5: philosophy at the water cooler...
- For l'amour : love and friendship in The office (US) / Robert Arp and Jamie Watson
- Look at the ears! the problem of natural kinds (UK) / Thomas Nys
- Gareth Keenan investigates paraconsistent logic : the case of the missing Tim and the redundancy paradox (UK) / Morgan Luck
- Being your self in The office (US) / Rick Mayock
- Michael Scott is going to die (US) / Meg Lonergan and J. Jeremy Wisnewski.