The Cambridge companion to Schubert
Cambridge, UK ; New York :
Cambridge University Press,
|Series:||Cambridge companions to music.
|Online Access:||Online version|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: the elusive Schubert / Christopher H. Gibbs
- I. Contexts: musical, political, and cultural: 1. Realism transformed: Franz Schubert and Vienna / Leon Botstein ; 2. "Poor Schubert": images and legends of the composer / Christopher H. Gibbs
- 3. "The Passion for friendship": music, cultivation, and identity in Schubert's circle / David Gramit ; 4. Schubert's inflections of Classical form / Charles Rosen ; 5. Schubert and his poets: issues and conundrums / Susan Youens
- II. Schubert's music: style and genre: 6. Schubert's songs: the transformation of a genre / Kristina Muxfeldt ; 7. Schubert's social music: the "forgotten genres" / Margaret Notley ; 8. Schubert's piano music: probing the human condition / William Kinderman ; 9. Schubert's chamber music: before and after Beethoven / Martin Chusid ; 10. Schubert's orchestral music: "strivings after the highest in art" / L. Michael Griffel ; 11. Schubert's religious and choral music: toward a statement of faith / Glenn Stanley ; 12. Schubert's operas: "the judgement of history?" / Thomas A. Denny
- III. Reception: 13. German reception: Schubert's "journey to immortality" / Christopher H. Gibbs ; 14. Schubert's reception history in nineteenth-century England / John Reed ; 15. Schubert's reception in France: a chronology (1828-1928) / Xavier Hascher ; 16. Franz Schubert's music in performance: a brief history of people, events, and issues / David Montgomery.