Supermax : controlling risk through solitary confinement /
This text examines the rise and proliferation of 'supermaxes', large prisons dedicated to holding prisoners in prolonged and strict solitary confinement, in the United States since the late 1980s.
Cullompton, UK ; Portland, Or. :
Check Holdings for more information.
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Introduction : the supermax phenomenon
- Solitary confinement as a penal strategy : a brief history
- Factors and actors in the rise of supermax prisons
- Ideologies of control : discourses on the goals and roles of supermax prisons
- The bureaucratisation of control : prisoner classification and placement in supermax prisons
- Technologies of control : the architectural design, physical fixtures and security arrangements in supermax prisons
- Inside a supermax : daily routines and prisoner provisions
- The dynamics of control : views from the control room, views from the cells
- Evaluating supermax confinement
- Appendix : responses to documentary film on supermaxes.