American documentary film : projecting the nation /
Edinburgh University Press,
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Novelties, spectacles and the documentary impulse. Case studies: Blacksmith scene (1893), Buffalo dance (1984), Mess call (1896)
- Virtual travels and the tourist gaze. Case study: Nanook of the north (1922)
- Serious play: documentary and the avant-garde. Case study: Manhatta (1921)
- Activism and advocacy: the Depression era. Case study: The plow that broke the plains (1936)
- Idea-weapons: documentary propaganda. Case study: The Memphis Belle (1944)
- 'Uncontrolled' situations: direct cinema. Case study: Tongues untied (1989)
- Media wars: documentary dispersion. Case study: Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004).