Film and stereotype : a challenge for cinema and theory /
New York :
Columbia University Press,
|Series:||Film and culture.
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Stereotype theory: concepts, perspectives, and controversies. The stereotype in psychology and the humanities
- Some aspects and levels of stereotypization in film
- The intellectual viewpoint versus the stereotype in mass culture
- A discourse history: the topic of the "stereotype" throughout film theory
- Prelude : Walther Rathenau's cultural criticism, Hugo Munsterberg's Euphoric
- Concept of film as art, and the neglect of the stereotype
- Bela Balazs's new visual culture, the tradition of linguistic skepticism, and Robert Musil's notion of the "formulaic"
- The readymade products of the fantasy machine : Rudolf Arnheim, Rene Fulop-Miller, and the discourse on the "standardization" of film
- The stereotype as intelligible form : Cohen-Seat, Morin, and semiology
- Irony and transfiguration : the postmodern view of the stereotype
- Film analysis : critique and transfiguration-three case studies
- Enjoying the stereotype and intense double-play acting : the performance of Jennifer Jason Leigh in the Hudsucker proxy