The Lewis Mumford reader /
New York :
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- A child of the city: East side, west side
- All around the town
- Our metropolitan pageants
- Architecture as a home for man: The Brooklyn bridge
- Towards modern architecture
- The case against "modern architecture"
- Symbol and function in architecture
- The city in civilization: What is a city?
- The disappearing city
- The medieval city
- The baroque city
- The lessons of Washington, D.C.
- The urban prospect: The ideal form of the modern city
- Yesterday's city of tomorrow
- Home remedies for urban cancer
- Restored circulation, renewed life
- The regional framework of civilization
- The foundations of eutopia
- The choices ahead
- Visions of America: The origins of the American mind
- The golden day
- The new world promise
- Technology and culture: Technics and human development
- The first megamachine
- The monastery and the clock
- The reinvention of the megamachine
- Art and technics
- Epilogue: Call me Jonah!