Catholics, slaveholders, and the dilemma of American evangelicalism, 1835-1860 /
W. Jason Wallace examines sermons, books, newspaper articles, and private correspondence of members of three antebellum groups--northern evangelicals, southern evangelicals, and Catholics--and argues that the divisions among them stemmed, at least in part, from disagreements over the role that relig...
Notre Dame, Ind. :
University of Notre Dame Press,
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- New England sets a pattern
- Taking aim at Europe and the Middle Ages
- Northern evangelicals define the other
- Southern evangelical dilemmas
- The hierarchy responds to political Protestantism
- Epilogue: evangelicals, the Bible, and politics.