Disrupting the school-to-prison pipeline /
"A trenchant and wide-ranging look at this alarming national trend, Disrupting the School-to-Prison Pipeline is unsparing in its account of the problem while pointing in the direction of meaningful and much-needed reforms. The "school-to-prison pipeline" has received much attention in...
|Other Authors:||Bahena, Sofía.|
Cambridge, Mass. :
Harvard Educational Review,
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Introduction: Disrupting the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Part 1: Discipline and justice in schools. PReventing and producing violence: a critical analysis of responses to school violence / Pedro A. Noguera ; Brown threat 2 society / Alejandro G. Vera ; Newjack: teaching in a failing middle school / Peter Sipe ; Against the pipeline / Robert Wilson ; Sound discipline policy for successful schools: how redressing racial disparities can make a positive impact for all / Daniel J. Losen ; One month in high school ; Seth G. Cooper ; "How can we hold you?" restorative justice in Boston schools / A conversation with Curtis Banner, Laurent Bennet, Janet Connors, Sung: Joon Pai, Hilary Shanahan, and Anita Wadhwa ; Education / Elizabeth A. Reid.
- Part 2: Education in detention. Tipping the balance ? Joseph Cambone ; Teaching "On the inside": Lessons for disrupting the school-to-prison pipeline / Douglas W. Price ; Applying Universal design for learning to the education of youth in detention and juvenile corrections facilities / Joanne Karger, David H. Rose and Kathleen B. Boundy ; Mystory: A public educational experience / Bobby Dean Evans, Jr. ; Institutional racist melancholia: a structural understanding of grief and power in schooling / Sabina E. Vaught ; The birth of hope :education inside and outside a New Jersey prison / Michael Satterfield ; Participatory literacy education behind bars: AIDS opens the door / Kathy Boudin ; Progress: education in prison / Christopher Dankovich.
- Part 3: Transforming the pipeline. Grassroots organizing and the school-to-prison pipeline: the emerging national movement to roll back zero tolerance discipline policies in U.S. public schools / Kavitha Mediratta ; Trouble to triumph: Fighting for education equality as an incarcerated youth / Starcia Ague ; Restorative justice is not enough: school-based interventions in the carceral state / Jane Hereth, Mariame Kaba, Erica R. Meiners, and Lewis Wallace ; The battle / Derek R. Russel.
- Part 4: Epilogue. Editor's review: what we can learn from five recent books about the school-to-prison pipeline / Paul Kuttner.