The Oxford handbook of media psychology /
"It is indisputable that media is by far the most common means by which human beings spend our free time in the modern world. However, the ubiquity of media in our lives brings with it advantages and disadvantages along with uncertainty: will increased dependence on media impair our social func...
|Corporate Authors:||Oxford handbooks online.|
|Other Authors:||Dill, Karen E., (Editor)|
New York :
Oxford University Press,
Oxford library of psychology.
- Part One: Introduction and Overview. Introduction / Karen E. Dill.
- Part Two: History and Methods. Storytelling and Media: Narrative Models from Aristotle to Augmented Reality / Jean-Pierre Isbouts and Jason Ohler ; Arguing for Media Psychology as a Distinct Field / Pamela Brown Rutledge ; Media Psychology and Its History / Regina M. Tuma ; Inside Media Psychology: The Story of an Emerging Discipline as Told by a Leading Journal / Ellen Baker Derwin and Janet de Merode ; Media Literacy: History, Progress, and Future Hopes / Edward T. Arke ; Research Methods, Design, and Statistics in Media Psychology / Sara Prot and Craig A. Anderson ; Qualitative Research and Media Psychology / Donald E. Polkinghorne.
- Part Three: Issues and Media Types. Why It Is Hard To Believe That Media Violence Causes Aggression / L. Rowell Huesmann, Eric F. Dubow, and Grace Yang ; Children's Media Use: A Positive Psychology Approach / Erik M. Gregory ; The Role of Emotion in Media Use and Effects / Elly A. Konijn ; Media Violence, Desensitization, and Psychological Engagement / Jeanne Funk Brockmyer ; Sexual Media Practice: How Adolescents Select, Engage with, and Are Affected by Sexual Media / Autumn Shafer, Piotr Bobkowski, and Jane D. Brown ; Race, Ethnicity, and the Media / Elizabeth Behm-Morawitz and Michelle Ortiz ; Representations of Gender in the Media / Erica L. Scharrer ; The Psychology Underlying Media-Based Persuasion / Robin L. Nabi and Emily Moyer-Gusé.
- Part Four: Interactive and Emerging Technologies. Social Influence in Virtual Environments / Jim Blascovich and Cade McCall ; Active Video Games: Impacts and Research / Barbara Chamberlin and Ann Maloney ; Serious Games: What Are They? What Do They Do? Why Should We Play Them? / Fran C. Blumberg, Debby E. Almonte, Jared S. Anthony, and Naoko Hashimoto ; Video Game Violence / Barbara Krahé ; Children, Adolescents, and the Internet: Are There Risks Online? / Ed Donnerstein ; Pathological Technology Addictions: What is Scientifically Known and What Remains to be Learned / Douglas A. Gentile, Sarah M. Coyne, and Francesco Bricolo ; Video Games and Attention / Robert West and Kira Bailey.
- Part Five: Meta Issues in Media Psychology. A General Framework for Media Psychology Scholarship / W. James Potter ; Engaging with Stories and Characters: Learning, Persuasion, and Transportation into Narrative Worlds / Melanie C. Green and Karen E. Dill ; The Political Narrative of Children's Media Research / Jeff J. McIntyre ; Media Psychophysiology: The Brain and Beyond / Bruce D. Bartholow and Paul Bolls ; Japanese Approach to Research on Psychological Effects of Use of Media A/ kira Sakamoto.
- Part Six: Conclusions and Future Directions. Media Content Analysis: Qualitative Methods with a Text Analysis of The Oxford Handbook of Media Psychology / Michael R. Neal ; Media Psychology: Past, Present, and Future / Karen E. Dill.