Outcomes assessment in higher education : views and perspectives /
This book provides a unique perspective on the discussion of educational quality as reflected through outcomes assessment -- or the application of student outcomes and student-learning outcomes to ensure institutional effectiveness -- with its broad, cross-disciplinary approach. It focuses on assess...
Westport, Conn. :
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- 1. Keystones of regional accreditation: intentions, outcomes, and sustainability / Ronald L. Baker : Traditional values ; Role of accreditation ; Accreditation criteria ; Intentions, institutional mission and goals ; Outcomes, assessing achievements ; Sustainability, infrastructure, resources, and processes ; Preservation of principles
- 2. An institutional commitment to assessment and accountability / James Anderson : Statewide testing and accountability ; Promoting faculty responsiveness ; Institutional affirmations ; Negotiable issues ; The importance of regional accreditation reform ; Promoting the process of assessment and accountability ; Transformation and accountability
- 3. A decade of assessing student learning: what we have learned, and what is next / Cecilia L. López : The Commission's assessment initiative: a brief overview ; What the Commission has learned and achieved from the first ten years of the assessment initiative ; What institutions have learned from planning and implementing programs to assess student learning ; "Connecting the disconnects": what remains to be done
- 4. Institutional assessment planning / Robert E. Dugan : Increasing accountability ; Institutional planning process or accountability emphasizing student learning objectives and outcomes
- 5. Developing an assessment plan to learn about student learning / Peggy L. Maki : Determining your institution's expectations ; Determining timing, identifying cohort(s), and assigning responsibility ; Interpreting and sharing results to enhance institutional effectiveness
- 6. A local institutional assessment plan / Robert E. Dugan : Institutional assessment plans ; Assessment efforts for academic programs
- 7. The strategic triad supporting information literacy assessment / Oswald M.T. Ratteray : Evolving definitions and emphases ; Developing the strategic triad ; Implementation ; Improvement
- 8. Selecting from the assessment tool chest / Peter Hernon : Direct methods of evaluating student learning ; Indirect methods of evaluating student learning ; Other ; Critical thinking ; An example of the use of both direct and indirect methods: Sinclair Community College ; Taking a consensus or a sample
- 9. Evolving an assessment of the impact on pedagogy, learning, and library support of teaching with digital images / Danuta A. Nitecki, and William Rando : Project overview ; Literature review ; Methodology ; Early findings ; What remains to do
- 10. Outcomes assessment in a college library: an instructional case study / Elizabeth W. Carter : Developing an assessment culture ; Background on assessment projects ; Assessing research instruction ; Managing the process ; Conclusion: Next steps
- 11. Four perspectives on assessment and evaluation / Peter Hernon and Robert E. Dugan : Four perspectives ; Balanced scorecard ; Where do we go from here?
- 12. Institutional perspectives / Robert E. Dugan : Institutional perspective ; Faculty perspective ; An academic support department, the library
- 13. An international perspective / Peter Hernon : United Kingdom ; Australia ; Canada and New Zealand
- Assessment: a case study in synergy / Sandra Bloomberg and Melaine McDonald : Faculty interest (spring 1999) ; An infrastructure (summer 1999) ; The Carnegie Academy campus faculty, an identity (fall 1999) ; A mission (spring 2000) ; A plan (fall 2000) ; Engagement (spring 2001) ; Progress continues (summer 2001) ; Growth (fall 2001) ; Expanding the network (spring 2002) ; Collaboration (summer 2002) ; Common purpose (fall 2002) ; Affirmation (spring 2003) ; Coming full circle (fall 2003)
- 15. Preparing for the future: a view of institutional effectiveness / Peter Hernon : Institutional culture ; Getting started ; Completing the foundation, sustainable outcomes ; Obstacles ; Best practice ; Examples
- 16. Continued development of assorted measures / Peter Hernon and Robert E. Dugan : Conceptualization of different types of measures ; Student outcomes and student learning outcomes ; Outcomes and impacts ; a modest research agen