Republics at war, 1776-1840 : revolutions, conflicts, and geopolitics in Europe and the Atlantic world /
"This book places itself at the intersection of two fields of study--military history and political ideologies--in order to investigate the troubling links between warfare and republicanism during the Revolutionary era. This international team of historians probes the dynamics of nations born o...
|Other Authors:||, ,|
Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire :
|Series:||War, culture and society, 1750-1850.
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Introduction: War and the Republic : Dangerous Liaisons / Pierre Serna
- PART I. CALLING FOR "REPUBLICAN" WAR
- The American Origins of the French Revolutionary War / Antonino De Francesco
- In Search of a Glorious Peace? Republican Diplomats at War, 1792-1799 / Virginie Martin
- Can a Powerful Republic Be Peaceful? The Debate of Year IV on the Place of France in the European Order / Marc Belissa
- Theobald Wolfe Tone's Mission to France 1796-1798 / Sylvie Kleinman
- PART II. CITIZENSHIP AND "REPUBLICAN" WAR
- A "Black Declaration of Independence"? War, Republic, and Race in the United States of America, 1775-1787 / Marie-Jeanne Rossignol
- The Army of the Republic : New warfare and a new army / Annie Crépin
- A Patriotic School : The Recruitment of the Italian Legion in France, 1799-1800 / Katia Visconti
- From Individual to Collective Emancipation : War and the Republic in the Caribbean during the French Revolution / Frédéric Régent
- PART III. REJECTING "REPUBLICAN" WAR
- Fratricide : Tragic Brothers, Masculine Violence and the Republic on the French Stage, 1799 / Judith A. Miller
- War and Citizenship : Central Italy, 1798-1799 / Bernard Gainot
- The Strength of Weapons, the Strength of Opinions : Counter-Revolution in the Papal States, 1790-1799 / Mario Tosti
- International War, National War, Civil War : Spain and Counterrevolution, 1793-1840 / Pedro Rújula.