Writing assessment in the 21st century : essays in honor of Edward M. White /
"Is there anyone involved in writing assessment who has not ready Teaching and Assessing Writing: Understanding, Evaluating, and Improving Student Performance? For over forty years, Edward M. White, author of that volume and other seminal works in instruction and evaluation, has led debates abo...
|Other Authors:||, ,|
New York :
|Series:||Research and teaching in rhetoric and composition.
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- In context : The contributions of Edward M. White to the assessment of writing ability / Norbert Elliot and Les Perelman
- Part I : The landscape of contemporary writing assessment. Introduction : Tradition and the rise of localism ; A closer look at the Harvard entrance examinations in the 1870s / John Brereton ; Assessment in a culture of inquiry : the story of the national writing project's analytic writing continuum / Sherry Seale Swain and Paul LeMahieu ; Writing assessment in the context of the national assessment of education progress / Hilary Persky ; Rethinking K-12 writing assessment / Paul Deane ; The WPA outcomes, information literacy, and the challenges of outcomes-based curricular design / Barry Maid and Barbara D'Angelo ; "Does it work?" : the question(s) of assessment in technical and professional communication / Margaret Hundlby ; Writing assessment for admission to graduate and professional programs : lessons learned and a note for the future / Mary Fowles
- Part II : Strategies in contemporary writing assessment. Introduction : Bridging the two cultures : setting sail with Ed White : the possibilities of assessment and instruction within college writing assessment / Diane Kelly-Riley ; Assessment and curriculum in dialogue / Irvin Peckham ; What good is it? : the effects of teacher response on students' development / Chris Anson ; Fostering best practices in writing assessment and instruction with E-rater® / Jill Burstein ; Writing to a machine is not writing at all / Anne Herrington and Charles Moran ; The future of portfolio-based writing assessment : a cautionary tale / William Condon ; Complicating the fail-or-succeed dichotomy in writing assessment outcomes / Jon A. Leydens and Barbara M. Olds ; Mapping a dialectic with Edward M. White (in four scenes) / Robert Broad ; The given-new contract : toward a metalanguage for assessing composition / Lee Odell
- Part III : Consequence in contemporary writing assessment. Introduction : Impact as arbiter ; Good enough evaluation : when is it feasible and when is evaluation not worth having? / Peter Elbow ; Fundamental challenges in developing and scoring constructed-response assessments / Doug Baldwin ; Racial formations in two writing assessments : revisiting White and Thomas' findings on the English placement test after 30 years / Asao B. Inoue and Mya Poe ; The private and the public in directed self-placement / Daniel J. Royer and Roger Gilles ; Assessing generation 1.5 learners : tThe revelations of directed self-placement / Gita DasBender ; Linking writing and speaking in assessing English as a second language proficiency / Liz Hamp-Lyons
- Part IV : Toward a valid future. Introduction : the uses and misuses of writing assessment ; Fighting number with number / Richard H. Haswell ; Mass-market writing assessments as bullshit / Les Perelman ; How does writing assessment frame college writing programs / Peggy O'Neill ; Changing the language of assessment : lessons from feminism / Cindy Moore ; The rhetorical situation of writing assessment : exigence, location, and the making of knowledge / Kathleen Blake Yancey
- Afterword / Edward M. White.