Views from the margins : creating identities in modern France /
This collection of essays offers examples drawn from an imperial history of France that show the power of the periphery to shape diverse and dynamic modern French identities at its center. Each essay explains French identity as a fluid process rather than a category into which French citizens (and i...
University of Nebraska Press,
|Online Access:||Online version|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Introduction / Kevin J. Callahan and Sarah A. Curtis
- Missionary utopias : Anne-Marie Javouhey and the colony at Mana, French Guiana, 1827-1848 / Sarah A. Curtis
- Marcel Lefebvre in Gabon : revival, missionaries, and the colonial roots of Catholic traditionalism / Jeremy Rich
- Marketing in the Metropole : colonial rubber plantations and French consumerism in the early twentieth century / Stephen L. Harp
- Exorcising Algeria : French citizens, the war, and the remaking of national identity in the Rhône-Alpes, 1954-1962 / Lee Whitfield
- Autonomy or colony : the politics of Alsace's relationship to France in the interwar era / Samuel Huston Goodfellow
- The "true" French worker party : the problem of French sectarianism and identity politics in the Second International, 1889-1900 / Kevin J. Callahan
- Sex and the citizen : reproductive manuals and fashionable readers in Napoleonic France, 1799-1808 / Sean M. Quinlan
- Gender and creation of the French intellectual : the case of the Revue de Morale Sociale, 1899-1903 / Anne R. Epstein
- Family dramas : paternity, divorce, and adultery, 1917-1945 / Rachel G. Fuchs.