Unplayed melodies : Javanese gamelan and the genesis of music theory /
The gamelan music of Central Java is one of the world's great orchestral traditions. Its rich sonic texture is not based on Western-style harmony or counterpoint but revolves around a single melody. The nature of that melody, however, is puzzling. In this book, Marc Perlman uses this puzzle as...
University of California Press,
|Online Access:||Online version|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Cognitive preliminaries: the nature of musical knowledge and the processes of creative thinking
- A brief introduction to karawitan
- Karawitan as a multipart music: the relations between the melodic parts
- The balungan as melodic guide
- Theorizing melodic guidance: the social and historical context of Javanese music theory
- Three concepts of unplayed melody
- Implicit-melody concepts in perspective
- Patterns of conceptual innovation in music theory: a comparative approach.