Demystifying the big house : exploring prison experience and media representations /
"Essays in this volume illustrate how shows such as Orange Is the New Black and Oz impact the public's perception of crime rates, the criminal justice system, and imprisonment. Contributors look at prison wives on reality television series, portrayals of death row, breastfeeding while in p...
Southern Illinois University Press,
|Series:||Perspectives on crime and justice (Carbondale, Ill.)
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Introduction : uniting media, prison, and experience / Katherine A. Foss
- Bims, babes, and molls in the big house : the women-in-prison genre film / L. Clare Bratten
- Forever imprisoned? Challenging the gaze in Orange is the new black / Rebecca Kern
- Feminized faith : the intersectionality of religion and gender in Orange is the new black / Joy Jenkins and J. David Wolfgang
- Dominating the (female) incarcerated body : gender and medical control in prison dramas / Katherine A. Foss
- Prison wives : providing a voice to the women behind incarcerated men / S. Lenise Wallace
- Dysfunctional black men : representations of race and masculinity from the days of Oz / Adina Schneeweis
- Stories from death row : articulations behind the scenes / Emily Plec
- Manufacturing masculinity and hope through media production / Kalen Churcher
- "In here and out there" : the lived experiences of women lifers / Meredith Huey Dye
- "I am more than a crime" : interviews with women who kill / Kathryn M. Whiteley
- Breastfeeding in prison / Amanda Barnes Cook
- Agnes goes to prison : gender authenticity, transgender inmates in prisons for men, and pursuit of the "real deal" / Valerie Jenness and Sarah Fenstermaker
- Vagrant masculinity : a process of masculine self-conceptualization in formerly incarcerated black men / Le'Brian A. Patrick
- Volunteering behind bars : negotiating roles, resources, and relationships / Pauline Matthey
- Conclusions and implications : through the distorted window; connecting media to experience / Katherine A. Foss.