Disasters, Hazards, and Law.
This volume deals with important social-science issues of law and legal control pertaining to disasters and hazards in a variety of contexts. The orientation of this volume is driven by relevant recent occurrences, such as hurricanes Katrina and Irene in the United States; the 2010 BP oil spill, and...
Emerald Group Pub.,
|Series:||Sociology of crime, law, and deviance.
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Front cover; disasters, hazards and law; copyright page; contents; list of contributors; introduction: disasters and hazards in socio-legal studies; references; part i: perspectives, theories, and concepts; disaster myth or reality: developing a criminology of disaster; introduction; what is disaster, and what is vulnerability?; disaster mythology and its consequences; conclusion; references; ''not only injurious to individuals, but dangerous to the state'': a theory of disaster crime; introduction; disaster crime; the existing legal response; toward a new justification; conclusion.
- Acknowledgmentsnotes; references; disaster, war, and drugs: policy levers and rebuilding communities; introduction; risk and social vulnerability; consequences and coping; disasters, war, drug use, and drug markets; policy recommendations; acknowledgments; references; part ii: law, policing, and policy; federalism, law, and the ethics of disaster evacuations; introduction; policy lessons learned from katrina related to evacuation; proper timing of evacuation and cost management; enforcement of evacuation orders; post evacuation legal and moral obligations; policy recommendations; references.
- Policing disasters: the role of police in the pre-disaster planning and post-disaster responsesintroduction; typologies of disasters; disasters and the police response; acknowledgment; notes; references; transforming oil activism: from legal constraints to evidenciary opportunity; introduction; background and theoretical framework; methods; analysis; conclusions; references; environmental policy for chemical pollution in taiwan: the an-shun plant case; introduction; the closing policy; the compensation policy; discussion; conclusion; acknowledgment; notes; references.
- Part iii: new orleans and hurricane katrinathe federal disaster: the failed logic of disaster prevention in new orleans; introduction; the economic logic of government failure; the peril of comparative analysis in disaster studies; federalism and legal authority in disaster management; the political economy of federalism and disaster policy; land use and building codes; conclusion; notes; references; new orleans: post-disaster dual dualism in labor markets and development; introduction; dual dualism; disaster, deregulation, and new growth regimes.
- Dual labor markets in construction and food servicefood service; construction; manufacturing; conclusion; notes; references; appendix a: restaurant worker survey methodology; appendix b: construction worker survey methodology; appendix c: shipyard worker survey methodology; the prison city of new orleans: law's responses to the disaster of hurricane katrina; a story; introduction: law's responses to the disaster of katrina; the carceral state; policing; incarceration; a prison city; notes; acknowledgments; references.