Shakespeare and the play scripts of private prayer /
Explores drama and private prayer from 1580 to 1640, when prayer was considered a dynamic, creative practice. It analyses moments in which private prayer was staged in Shakespeare's history plays to argue that private prayers are play scripts and to recognise how this understanding affects how...
Oxford, United Kingdom ; New York, NY :
Oxford University Press,
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Introduction: creativity in private prayers
- Techniques to compose private prayers
- Scripting a role for the speaker of private prayer: 2 and 3 Henry VI
- Discerning a response to private prayer: Richard III and Henry V
- The special case of royal private prayer: Henry VIII and Richard II
- Afterword: staging private prayer
- Appendix A: sample contents pages of printed private prayer books
- Appendix B: sample prayers of childbirth
- Appendix C: sample prayers on work.