Manliness & civilization : a cultural history of gender and race in the United States, 1880-1917 /
|Main Author:||Bederman, Gail.|
University of Chicago Press,
Women in culture and society
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Remaking manhood through race and "civilization"
- "The White man's civilization on trial": Ida B. Wells, representations of lynching, and northern middle-class manhood
- "Teaching our sons to do what we have been teaching the savages to avoid": G. Stanley Hall, racial recapitulation, and the neurasthenic paradox
- "Not to sex-but to race!" Charlotte Perkins Gilman, civilized Anglo-Saxon womanhood, and the return of the primitive rapist
- Theodore Roosevelt: manhood, nation, and "civilization"
- Tarzan and after.