"Father Delehaye's 'Les Légendes hagiographiques' was first published, at Brussels, in 1905 and a second edition in the following year. A third edition, revised by the author, appeared in 1927; this was reprinted in a fourth edition in 1955, with the addition of a memoir and bibliography of Father Delehaye by Father Paul Peeters. An English translation of the second edition, by Mrs. V.M. Crawford, was published in 1907 under the title 'The legends of the Saints: An introduction to hagiography.' The present new translation has been made from the 1955 edition"--P. xvi.