Economy, polity, and society : British intellectual history, 1750-1950 /
|Other Authors:||, ,|
Cambridge ; New York :
Cambridge University Press,
Check Holdings for more information.
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- General introduction / Stefan Collini
- Presentation of Economy, Polity, and Society
- 1. Sociability and self-love in the theatre of moral sentiments: Mandeville to Adam Smith / E. J. Hundert
- 2. 'That noble disquiet': meanings of liberty in the discourse of the North / Dario Castiglione
- 3. Language, sociability, and history: some reflections on the foundations of Adam Smith's science of man / Nicholas Phillipson
- 4. Adam Smith and tradition: the Wealth of Nations before Malthus / Richard F. Teichgraeber III
- 5. Economy and polity in Bentham's science of legislation / David Lieberman
- 6. 'A gigantic manliness': Paine's republicanism in the 1790s / Richard Whatmore
- 7. Irish culture and Scottish enlightenment: Maria Edgeworth's histories of the future / Marilyn Butler
- 8. Improving Ireland: Richard Whately, theology, and political economy / Norman Vance
- 9. Political and domestic economy in Victorian social thought: Ruskin and Xenophon / Jane Garnett
- 10. State and market in British university history / Sheldon Rothblatt
- 11. Mr. Gradgrind and Jerusalem / Donald Winch.