Modern Catholic social teaching : the popes confront the industrial age, 1740-1958 /
New York :
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: The papal encyclicals, industrial capitalism, and modern liberal culture
- The pre-Leonine papal strategy of rejecting local capitalism : modern liberal defeat of European aristocratic Christian civilization
- The pre-Leonine encyclicals from Benedict XIV to Pius IX : from defense of the ancien régime to the triumph of ultramontanism
- The Leonine papal strategy of reforming national capitalism : Leo XIII's appeal to moderate liberals against secular socialists
- The foundational encyclicals of Leo XIII : the grand design for a modern bourgeois adaptation of Christian civilization
- Modification and breakdown of the Leonine strategy : the crisis of modern European bourgeois civilization
- The Leonine encyclicals of Pius X, Benedict XV, Pius XI, and Pius XII : modernism, industrial warfare, economic dictatorship, and political totalitarianism
- Conclusion: The legacy of modern Catholic social teaching and the postmodern challenge.