Prophets of protest : reconsidering the history of American abolitionism /
|Other Authors:||McCarthy, Timothy Patrick., Stauffer, John.|
New York :
New Press :
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- "Truth systematised" : the changing debate over slavery and abolition, 1761-1916 / Robert P. Forbes
- Coming of age : the historiography of Black abolitionism / Manisha Sinha
- Geographies of liberty : a brief look at two cases / T.K. Hunter
- "A chosen generation" : Black founders and early America / Richard S. Newman
- "Onward, onward, is indeed the watchword" : James Forten's reflections on revolution and liberty / Julie Winch
- John Brown Russwurm's dilemma : citizenship or emigration? / Sandra Sandiford Young
- "To plead our own cause" : Black print culture and the origins of American abolitionism / Timothy Patrick McCarthy
- "Willing to die for the cause of freedom in Kansas" : free state emigration, John Brown, and the rise of militant abolitionism in the Kansas territory / Karl Gridley
- Regional Black involvement in John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry / Hannah Geffert (with Jean Libby)
- A common nature, a united destiny : African American responses to racial science from the revolution to the Civil War / Patrick Rael
- "No occurrence in human history is more deserving of commemoration than this" : abolitionist celebrations of freedom / Julie Roy Jeffrey
- Print culture and the antislavery community : the poetry of abolitionism, 1831-1860 / Dickson D. Bruce Jr.
- Profits of protest : the market strategies of Sojourner Truth and Louisa May Alcott / Augusta Rohrbach
- Creating an image in Black : the power of abolition pictures / John Stauffer
- Abolitionists in American cinema : from The birth of a nation to Amistad / Casey King.