Library Collection Review Deselection List
Beginning October 1st, 2017 Falvey Memorial Library embarks on a systematic, comprehensive evaluation of its print book collection which will result in the removal of out-of-date and underused materials. This webpage provides new deselection lists each month. Faculty will have the opportunity to review book deselection lists and submit retention requests. Read more
This deselection project is a three-step review process:
Step 1: Collection comparison software (GreenGlass) identifies books in the library that:
- were purchased prior to 2006;
- AND have not been circulated for more than 10 years;
- AND are widely available at other libraries (40+ in the U.S., 4+ in PA) and can be obtained through interlibrary loan if needed. This criteria ensures we retain rare items.
- OR are freely available as digital copies in the public domain.
Step 2: Subject librarians review these potential withdrawals and decide which books to retain. These books are then removed from the review lists.
Step 3: Library posts deselection lists on the project webpage for final faculty review.
The lists posted below have passed through step one and two waiting for the faculty review as a final review step.
Posted Date: December 3, 2018
Deadline for Faculty Review: December 31, 2018
- Call number ranges: B3515_B5700
- Call number ranges: DF12_DF923
- Call number ranges: E16_E176
- Call number ranges: GC2_GC1311
- Call number ranges: GE10_GE350
- Call number ranges: HF1456_HF5385
- Call number ranges: LA5_LA2388
- Call number ranges: LD59_LD7501
- Call number ranges: N22_N8846
- Call number ranges: QH432_QH705
- Call number ranges: TN1_TN999
- Call number ranges: TP1_TP999
- Call number ranges: TS1_TS999
Instruction for how to copy and paste from an Excel spreadsheet:
For the best experience, you can download the Excel files to your computer to use locally. After clicking one of the links above, click the "Edit Workbook" drop down menu in the top-right. Then select "Edit in Excel" option as shown in picture below. Now you can easily copy and paste data from the spreadsheet.
Faculty Retention Request Form
To request books be retained in the collection, please fill out the form below. You can add as many books to the form as you want by clicking the “add another item” tab at the bottom of the form. When you have added all of the books that you wish to have retained click “submit.”
*When multiple requests are placed for the same book requests to retain the book in the Library will take precedent. All other requests will be handled on a first come first served basis.
Call Number Range Key:
Detailed LC Classification List: https://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/lcco/
A -- GENERAL WORKS
H -- SOCIAL SCIENCES
S -- AGRICULTURE