The Villanova University Archives seeks to document the Villanova University community, which includes the administrators, faculty, students, staff and alumni/ae. In assessing records appropriate for permanent retention, the University Archives attempts to include any and all documentation in any form produced or received in the conduct of University business.
The official records encompass the documents or papers produced, generated or received by the various administrative offices of Villanova University in the conduct of its business and which are preserved for their enduring value.
In filling its obligation as the keeper of Villanova University history, the University Archives seeks to collect materials from offices, departments, schools, institutes, centers and student organizations.
The following is a checklist of appropriate records and materials that should be deposited in the Villanova University Archives.
- Constitution and by-laws, minutes of meetings, memoranda, annual reports, correspondence, reports and lists of the Board of Trustees
- Records of the Office of the President, including annual reports, correspondence, administrative subject files and reports
- Correspondence, subject files, annual reports and reports of the Office of Provost, Executive Vice President
- Correspondence, subject files, annual reports and reports of the Senior Vice President for University Advancement, Vice President and General Counsel, Vice President for Student Life, Vice President for University Communication, Vice President for Mission and Ministry, Vice President for Technology and CIO, Vice President for Facilities Management, Vice President for Finance, Vice Provost for Academics, Director of Athletics and University Compliance Officer.
- Correspondence, subject files and reports of deans, directors and administrators of the schools, colleges, departments, programs, centers and institutes of the University
- Correspondence, subject files, and reports of the administrative offices: Auxiliary Services, Enrollment Management, Facilities Management, Human Resources, Public Safety, University Information Technologies (UNIT), Library
- Minutes, memoranda, and reports of all major academic, administrative and university commissions, councils and committees, including the Faculty Council, Faculty Senate, Faculty Congress, the University Senate and their committees
- Academic departmental records including minutes, reports, correspondence, and faculty vitae
- Self-studies and accreditation reports including supporting documentation
- Certification reports and supporting documentation
- Annual budget and audit reports
- Records of the Registrar including calendars and class schedules, course descriptions, enrollment reports, graduation rosters, official commencement programs, and other reports issued on a regular basis
- Alumni/ae records including minutes, newsletters, reports, newsclippings, publications, photographs, albums and scrapbooks of alumni/ae association
- Reports of the Offices of Admissions, Public Relations and Development
- Reports of the Office of Research Administration (OPRA) Grant Records (funded)
- Reports of the Office of Planning and Institutional Research (OPIR)
- Reports of student organizations
- Plans (Strategic)
- Publications distributed in the name of the University including: annual reports, newsletters , posters or booklets, catalogs, special bulletins, yearbooks, student newspapers and publications, university directories and faculty/staff rosters, faculty, staff and administrative newsletters and publications, alumni/ae publications and ephemeral materials, brochures, calendars of events, guides, flyers, handbooks, manuals (procedures), information bulletins, master schedules, posters, programs and proceedings
- Audiovisual materials documenting the history and development of Villanova University such as photographs, negatives, slides, motion pictures, oral history interviews, and audio and video tapes, discs, digital and other electronic records or lists where such items are maintained, and other types of recordings; photo albums, scrapbooks
- Maps, prints, and drawings documenting the physical growth and development of the University
- Artifacts and memorabilia related to the history of Villanova University
- Policy Statements: Policies governing the University and inter-departmental relations, recruiting policies, and other policies which deal with the administration of the University, department, school, committees, council, University Senate or office
- Policy manuals
- Faculty publications: two copies of monographic publications, whether published by Villanova University or some other agency, should be sent to the University Archives as soon as possible.
- One will be retained in the "Villanova University Publications" section of the University Archives in Falvey Memorial Library.
- The other will be for the general collection in Falvey Memorial Library.
The following materials should not be transferred to the University Archives and may be discarded directly from the office when no longer needed for administrative purpose. Exceptions will be considered on an individual basis. These items will be normally retained elsewhere.
Reservations, confirmations, itineraries (travel), thank you notes, etc.
- Records of financial transactions, including but not limited to: cancelled checks, invoices, ledger reports, account books, petty cash vouchers and/or receipts, any non-final budget report
- General administrative and management office files
- Student academic and employment records
- University personnel records
- Evaluations (of people)
- Personal correspondence not related to University business nor of significance to the University's historical record
- General operational office correspondence, especially non-personally addressed mail and routine letters of transmittal and acknowledgement
- All blank forms and unused printed or duplicated materials
- All duplicate materials (note: archives only needs one copy)
- Grant records (not funded)
- Greeting cards
- Papers, reports, work papers and drafts, which have been published elsewhere
- Miscellaneous candid visual and audio materials
- Requests for publications or information after requests have been filled
- Personnel files on faculty, staff, or students
- Resumes received in application for positions
- Any document containing salary information attached to individual names