Online Compensation Resources
Please don't download ebooks as this will block your classmates access for three days. Be Kind, Read the Full Text Online!
Reporting and Disclosure Guide for Employee Benefit Plans (Dept. of Labor)
General HR/Business Resources
Business Full Text (WilsonWeb) - To Search Only Business Full Text select in the Subject Area drop down menu BUSINESS (BUS). This a full text database that indexes and abstracts articles from the leading business magazines and trade and research journals.
ProQuest Business Periodicals - Simultaneously search all business, industry and accounting periodicals available through Proquest including the ABI/Inform databases, concentrated publications on the pharmaceutical, banking, computing and telecommunications industries and business news.
HeinOnline - This legal database provides text of over 500 law journals.
Lexis-Nexis Academic - Search for law review articles on labor and employment topics.
EconLit with Full Text (EBSCO) - Access primary research from an economic perspective on employment and earnings.
Tips for Searching
- Choose the best article databases for your topic. Business Source Premier and Proquest Business Periodicals are best bets, but if your question relates to a legal issue, use Lexis/Nexis too, if your topic is about a communication methods, use Communication and Mass Media Complete.
- Think of synonyms and alternative ways of describing your topic. Notice the subjects or descriptors assigned to the on point articles you find and do follow up searches incorporating this new vocabulary.
- Learn subscription database syntax. Search for phrases with quotes, use AND to require both ideas to be included in your result set, use OR when you want either one or the other idea present in your results.
- Stay organized by using the citation utilities or RefWorks to keep track of citations. Check automatically generated citations for acuracy.
- Use Google wisely. Evaluate your results by looking at author affiliations, credentials and biases. Pay attention to publication dates, editorial policies and publication purposes. Use Google Scholar or Google News.
National Compensation Survey - From the Bureau of Labor Statistics, provides comprehensive measures of occupational wages, employment cost trends, and benefit incidence and detailed plan provisions. Detailed occupational earnings are available for metropolitan and non-metropolitan areas, broad geographic regions, and on a national basis.
Proxy Statements - Filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. They include compensation data for highest paid executives. To find the an individuals compensation you first have to know what company they work for. Proxy's are DEF 14A's.
Mergent - Search for U.S. and foreign executives in a wide variety of ways and get compensation as reported in proxies.
Paywizard.org - A resource center, a salary-checker and a tool for helping American workers understand more about pay and work life. This resource is part of the WageIndicator Foundation.
Have a question? Please don't hesitate to contact me! You can use the form below to request an appointment in person, over the phone, or virtually through our chat services. Or, you can always email me directly with any questions or concerns. I look forward to hearing from you!