Bring yourself up to speed by starting with a market or industry report. These secondary research publications define categories (sometimes not precisely as you would wish), estimate market size and growth potential, describe the competitive forces impacting the industry or category and identify key players.
Don't forget to take advantage of the links to trade news and associations to learn about the most recent developments.
Search related terms and narrower or broader keyworks:IBISWorld
First Research Industry Profiles (ABI/Inform Collection - ProQuest)
Investment Company Institute (ICI)
- Identify competitors relevant to your product or category
- Research the companies that bring competing products to market
- Investigate the marketing mix deployed by competitors by researching product attributes, placement, price and promotional strategies
Key competitors will be named in market research report and industry reports. Find additional competitors by "shopping" in the places most likely to offer products or services similar to your target. For example, shop on Sephora or at Department Stores or ULTA.
Use the company databases listed below to learn about the competing products companies. Brand or product websites usually identify the corporate parent. Note that information about private companies (not publically traded) or subsidiaries is limited.
Check out social media presence on Facebook, Instragram & YouTube videos for ads. Search the general business news and Marketing databases for insight into marketing strategy.D&B Hoovers
Morningstar Investment Research Center
NetAdvantage (Standard & Poor's Capital IQ)
Mergent Online Limitations on Use
Gale Directory Library
Market research reports, consumer surveys, census data and sometimes scholarly research can provide insights into the demographic characteristics of potential consumers and their buyer behavior.Simmons Insights Tutorial
Mintel Insights & Analytics Limitations on Use
Authorized users (on and off campus) limited to current Villanova students, faculty and staff.
MarketResearch.com Academic Limitations on Use
Licensed for academic uses only. May not be used for commercial uses.
Explore Census Data
ESRI Business Analyst Online Tutorial Access Instructions
Access courtesy of the Department of Geography & the Environment.
Pew Research Center
PsycINFO (ProQuest) Tutorial
At it's core the marketing plan is a creative endeavor, but relying on best practices, data and cases on similar approaches to marketing approaches will be needed.WARC
Advertising Age Datacenter (AdAge) Access Instructions
Ad$pender (Kantar Media)
Books & Media
Books & Media
Use general purpose business article databases to get news about competitors & brands, or to find research articles or practice oriented material.ABI/INFORM Complete (ProQuest)
Business Source Premier (EBSCO)
- Create citations as you go, saving URLs will not be sufficient as they are not all persistent
- Use citations generators when available to save time, BUT expect to edit the results because errors and inconsistencies are inevitable.
- Get to know APA style by using the tools below. The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association 7th ed is not available online.
- Many team members may contribute citations and there is flexibility in the rules of the style. Assign a team member to edit citations for consistency.
Purdue OWL: APA
Competitive Effectiveness Research Video Channel
Simmons Insights Video Tutorials