Catholic Social Teaching Resources
United States Conference of Bishops Catholic Social Teaching Official resource page for U.S. Catholic Social Teaching.
Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church Primary Vatican document.
Office for Social Justice (St. Paul & Minneapolis) A nicely done compendium of resources on Catholic Social Teaching in the U.S.
Caritas.org International federation of Catholic charitiable organizations.
Catalog Search our catalog for books with the subjects Church and social problems or Sociology, Christian or Christian sociology, Catholic Church or the phrase "social teaching" AND Catholic
Crafting a Topic
How do you know you are on the right track to a good topic?
- Your're curious about it.
- Your topic can be phrased as a question.
- You can find (sometimes with help) literature on the topic.
- It is not too broad or too narrow.
- It fits within the context of the course
- You are willing to modify the topic depending on what you learn.
How can you refine your topic?
- Method, theory or intellectual approach
Browse and search through your course materials, the library catalog, and article databases to get a feel for what questions are being asked about your topic and to see if there is an existing body of literature. The following encyclopedias may be useful for gauging the feasibility of your topic, finding alternative keywords and identifying key authors.
Encyclopedia of World Poverty
Encyclopedia of Environment and Society
Encyclopedia of Global Warming & Climate Change
New Catholic Encyclopedia
Blackwell Companion to Social Inequalities
Encyclopedia of Business Ethics & Society
Encyclopedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy
ATLA Religion Database
Catholic Periodical & Literature Index
Tips for Database Searching
- Think for related terms and synonmys
- Search from phrases in quotes
- Search for root words with asterick*
- Broaden search by using OR to search for synonmys or related terms
- Narrow search by using AND to require inclusion of additional ideas
- Use the Findit Button to get full text
Statistical Datasets Proquest
Statistical Abstract of the United States
Statistical Insight Proquest
PAY ATTENTION TO THE DATA SOURCES IN YOUR LITERATURE REVIEW!!!
Research and Documentation Online
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association