The databases listed here provide insights and data relevant to multiple if not all four of the dimensions (cultural, administrative, geographic and economic) needed to analyze the potential for firm/industry expansion opportunities.
Likewise, searching and browsing news and academic research for each dimension will be beneficial.
The other sections of this guide, list specific databases, reports, books and sites relevant to each dimension and to company & industry reports.
A to Z International Business
Country Commercial Guides.
Economist Intelligence Unit
Passport (Euromonitor International) Limitations on Use
Authorized access (on and off campus) limited to current Villanova students, faculty and staff.
Index Mundi Country Comparison
World Bank South Africa
newsAccess World News (NewsBank) Tutorial
Factiva (Dow Jones)
Nexis Uni Limitations on Use
LexisNexis online services and the materials contained therein are under copyright by LexisNexis. All rights reserved. No part of these Services may be used except for research purposes, and the Services may not be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise without the prior written permission of the LexisNexis Academic Library Solutions. Materials retrieved from the Services may not be duplicated in hard copy or machine-readable form without the prior written authorization of LexisNexis Academic & Library Solutions, except that limited reproduction of output is permitted solely for individual use by the Authorized User or internal distribution within the Subscribing Institution in accordance with the terms of this Agreement unless further limited or prohibited by the Copyright Act of 1976. Under no circumstances may the Materials or any portion thereof be used to create derivative products or services.
Financial Times Limitations on Use Access Instructions
Subscription courtesy of Villanova School of Business.
scholarshipABI/INFORM Collection (ProQuest)
Business Source Premier (EBSCO)
Falvey Book Search
- CultureQuest Business: South Africa [video]
- South African Reader: History Culture Politics
- South Africa Culture Smart!
Statista Global Consumer Survey Guide
Global Barometer Surveys
Gallup Analytics and Brain Tutorial
- The BRICS: A very short introduction
- Political Handbook of the World
- GlobalLex South Africa
- Guide to Law Online South Africa
- South African Government
- Transport Department Republic of South Africa
- Communications & Digital Technologies Republic of South Africa
- Fitch Solutions Industry Insights-Find reports on telecommunications, power and renewables, infrastructure,
- OECD Documents on South Africa and Transit
- Urban Transport Crisis in Emerging Economies
- Africa Transport and the Millennial Development Goals
- Road Infrastructure Funding
I've posted direct links to economic analysis and forecasts from ABI Inform and Business Source Premier. Economist Intelligence Unit, Passport Euromonitor, EMIS and Global Edge listed elsewhere on this guide also have country economic reports.
- Fitch Solutions South Africa Trade & Investment Report
- Fitch Solutions South Africa Country Risk Report
- Oxford Economics Country Economic Forecast Data: South Africa (download the full text)
- IHS Markit Country/Territory Report: South Africa
- PRS Group South Africa Country Report
EMIS Intelligence (Emerging Markets Information Service)
Mergent Online Limitations on Use
NetAdvantage (Standard & Poor's Capital IQ)