Welcome to your course guide.
Other Helpful Library Pages
A guide to understanding and evaluating the difference between scholarly and non-scholarly resources
Is it Scholarly? Tips for critically evaluating your information resources.
Article Database Search Tips
- Use Synonmyms, brainstorm and mine found resources
- Notice controlled vocabulary, index, descriptor and subject terms
- Use truncation * works for most databases
- Combine terms with boolean operators, AND contains both terms, OR contains at least one term
- Search phrases, quotes work for most databases
- Use dropdown menu or radio buttons to limit search to fields such as title, subject, abstract, descriptors
- Use the online Help
E-Reference Resources are a good place to explore potential research topics right from your dorm room! If you have a topic in mind, specialized encyclopedias and dictionaries can give you invaluable background information, as well as important keywords for researching the topic.
Oxford English Dictionary
Check out even more Communication E-Reference Resources.
News and Opinion Resources
ProQuest U.S. Newsstream
Alternative Press Index (EBSCO)
New York Times (NYTimes.com)
Users are required to create an individual account in order to access the NYT from off-campus or via mobile app. Create your account at AccessNYT.com. Download mobile apps from nytimes.com/mobile. Once your account is created, you can use it to log on to NYTimes.com from anywhere with full access.
Subscription courtesy of the Provost's Office and Falvey Memorial Library.
Organizing and Citing Your Work
APA & MLA Style
- Available for use in the library, this is the official guide to APA style.
- OWL is a freely available online resource provided by Purdue University. The OWL gives clear instructions for formatting your paper and bibliography in APA or MLA style.
Zotero is a free, open source citation tool developed by the Roy Rosenzweig Center for New Media at George Mason University. It’s been funded by the Mellon and Sloan foundations, as well as the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
HERE you can find detailed information about what Zotero is and what it can do for you.
Start using Zotero HERE