Key Communication Databases
Film & Television Literature Index A comprehensive bibliographic database covering the entire spectrum of television and film writing.
Communication and Mass Media Complete CMMC offers cover-to-cover (core) indexing and abstracts for over 300 journals, and selected (priority) coverage of over 100 more, for a combined coverage of over 400 titles.
Gender Studies Databases
GenderWatch Full text database for scholarly, popular and alternative publications focusing on gender, feminist studies, transgender and mens studies. Covers a wide range of disciplines, not limited to communication studies.
Article Database Search Tips
- Use synonyms, brainstorm and mine found resources
- Notice controlled vocabulary, index, descriptor and subject terms. Take good notes!
- Use truncation to search for all terms with the same root: child* for child, children and childhood
- Combine terms with boolean operators, AND contains both terms, OR contains at least one term
- Search phrases; quotes work for most databases
- Use dropdown menu or radio buttons to limit search to fields such as title, subject, abstract, descriptors
- Save time and frustration with the Help menu: every database has one!
Finding Articles in Full Text
Once you have identified a useful article, check to see whether it is available in full text from that database. You will see a link or an icon for an HTML or PDF version of the article (sometimes the full article is displayed below the abstract). If the article is not available in full text through that database, it may still be available through another vendor. Click the find it button to see if it is available. This will take you to the 360Link screen:
Film Analysis Resources
From the Film Society of Lincoln Center. Analysis and critiques of films and the people who make them. Full text available through Proquest/ABI Inform.
Bryn Mawr Film Institute
Local venue for independent, art, documentary and repetory cinema.
- Encyclopedia of Film Themes, Settings and Series
- International Dictionary of Film and Filmmakers
- Encyclopedia of African American Actresses in Film and Television
- Cambridge Companion to the Actress
Library Books & Videos
From the library homepage, click the Search tab. Then click the Books & More tab. Search with keywords, or use the drop-down menu to search for a specific title or author.
See the results of an example search for books regarding feminist film criticism.
Or, if you are looking for a video, use the links on the right-hand side of the page to narrow the Format to DVD. For instance, see this blog post about Native American films recently acquired by the Library. You may also want to browse the movie collection on the first floor of the library.
Publication manual for the American Psychological Association
- Available for use in the library, this is the official guide to APA style.
OWL (Purdue University Online Writing Lab) - APA
- OWL is a freely available online resource provided by Purdue University. The OWL gives clear instructions for formatting your paper and bibliography in APA style.