Choose Quality Publications
The top journals for consumer psychology are:
Journal of Consumer Psychology
Journal of Consumer Research
To identify other high quality scholarly business journals check well respected lists such as the 45 Journals Used in the Financial Times Research Rank or impact factor or eigenfactor in Journal Citation Reports.
Know how to tell the difference between scholarly and trade or popular journals.
Quick techniques for identifying scholarly articles & journals.
- Look for the editorial page of the journal. Does the editorial board include many academics? Are there detailed instructions for article submissions? --> Scholarly Journal.
- Do an internal evaluation of the article. Are there sections related to the statement of the problem, hypothesis, methods, data and results? Are their many references included? Are the authors credentials academic-->Scholarly Article.
Article Databases for Consumer Psychology
Business Source Premier (EBSCO)
Provides access to a wide range of academic business journals and trade magazines. Topics include management, marketing, accounting, finance, economics, international business, operations management and management information systems. Full-text access may be embargoed for up to three years. Coverage goes back to 1965.
ABI/INFORM Complete (ProQuest)
Provides access to scholarly journals, dissertations, working papers, key business and economics periodicals, and country-and industry-focused reports.
Indexes journals, dissertations and some books in the fields of personality psychology, social psychology, educational psychology and more.
Practice advanced search features with the interactive PsycINFO Tutorial
- Use synonyms, brainstorm and mine found resources
- Notice controlled vocabulary, index, descriptor and subject terms. Take good notes!
- Use truncation to search for all terms with the same root: child* for child, children and childhood
- Combine terms with boolean operators, AND contains both terms, OR contains at least one term
- Search phrases; quotes work for most databases
- Use facets to limit seach to publication type such as trade publications, newspapers or peer reviewed journals
- Use dropdown menu or radio buttons to limit search to fields such as title, subject, abstract, descriptors
- Save time and frustration with the Help menu: every database has one!
Contributed by Kristyna Carroll
Syndicated Market Research Reports
Authorized users (on and off campus) limited to current Villanova students, faculty and staff. Mintel's published market research has been helping leading businesses achieve their goals for over 30 years. As a globally recognised market analyst, Mintel produces hundreds of reports into European, UK-specific and US consumer markets every year. Each report that Mintel publishes provides a unique overview of a market's dynamics and prospects, giving you the knowledge to devise informed and profitable marketing strategy. DO NOT USE IE6
Provides marketing reports for many industries and demographic reports on a variety of age groups. Documents are formatted as Adobe Acrobat or PowerPoint files. Licensed for academic uses only. May not be used for commercial uses.
Authorized users (on and off campus) limited to current Villanova students, faculty and staff. Use for research or private study for academic purposes only. This resource is a database of demographic, economic, lifestyle, and consumer market information for over 350 markets and 207 countries. Statistics cover consumer lifestyles, retailing, and consumer market sizes and forecasts. The data includes 6-year historic market size data for more than 330 consumer products in 52 countries, plus 5-year forecasts. Lifestyle indicators for 71 countries, lifestyle reports for 65 countries, and country profiles for 250 countries are also included.
Lexis-Nexis Market & Industry Reports
Search BMI, Canadean, IDC, & Hoovers industry profiles.
Hoover's Company & Industry Reports (Lexis-Nexis)