Book reviews can serve a variety of purposes: they can help you decide whether you'd like to read a book, or they can help you understand a book's place in the context of a larger scholarly conversation. There are two main categories of book reviews: general interest reviews of popular books, and scholarly book reviews. For this class you will be focusing on reviews of popular books. See below for more information and for links to useful tools for finding book reviews.
Books in the library
- The Cambridge Companion to Fantasy Literature
- The Cambridge Companion to C.S. Lewis
- Ursula K. LeGuin Beyond Genre: Fiction for Children and Adults
- Fantasy, politics, postmodernity : Pratchett, Pullman, Miéville and stories of the eye
- Bodyminds reimagined : (dis)ability, race, and gender in black women's speculative fiction /
About general interest book reviews:
- General interest reviews usually focus on popular books (memoirs, nonfiction, cookbooks, etc.) and works of literature.
- They often appear in newspapers and magazines such as the New York Review of Books, the Times Literary Supplement, the New Yorker, etc.
- They may be written by other authors or by journalists.
- General interest book reviews usually appear soon after a book's publication.
The following indexes will help you locate general interest book reviews:Book Review Index Plus (Gale)
Book Review Digest Plus (EBSCO)
Book Review Digest Retrospective, 1903-1982 (EBSCO)
The Library provides online access to the following book review journals; click the FindIt button within each item's record to search or browse.
- London Review of Books (recent print issues are available in Current Periodicals on 1st floor of Falvey; website provides 4 free articles per month from current and back issues)
- New York Review of Books (available online from 1963 - present)
- New York Times Book Review (all back content available to the VU community via our NYTimes.com subscription; 1997- present available online via ProQuest)
- TLS, the Times Literary Supplement (available online from 2012 - present)
Historical Book Reviews
New York Times: 1851- (ProQuest Historical Newspapers)
Times (London) Digital Archive, 1785-2019 (Gale)