Use the online Library Catalog to find books and journal titles, whether in print or online format. The Library's catalog has a number of different search options: keyword and subject searches are good starting points when first exploring a topic. Search results can narrowed with facets, which appear to the right of the results. Topic, era, language are some of the available facets.
- Books about your topic: Search by subject – “environmental philosophy”
- Find related books? See the right side column facet list for more links to books on your topic, maybe Human Ecology or Environmental Ethics
- Click on one of the book titles and note the subject links to related books on your topic
- Use Boolean statements to combine topics: ecofeminism AND justice
- Use quotation marks for phrases: “deep ecology”
E-Z Borrow and Interlibrary Loan
Interlibrary loan is available for books and journals that are not owned by Falvey. EZ-Borrow is generally faster than interlibrary loan, since the books come from a local library network. EZ-Borrow can also be used for books that the Library owns, but that are currently unavailable. (There is no charge for this service.)
Falvey Memorial Library has a wide variety of multi-volume encyclopedias in print as well as online. These encyclopedias are a good starting point for any research project. Encyclopedia articles are generally written by scholars and include bibliographical references. Ask a librarian for advice to find the best encyclopedia for your project.
Links to online encyclopedias can be found in the Library Catalog.
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy
- Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Environmental Encyclopedia
- Encyclopedia of Bioethics
The databases are listed on the Falvey home page under Databases A to Z or Subject Guides/Philosophy/Articles.
Some entries have full text via the database.
For others, click on to determine
- if there are online links to the article
- if it is a journal the library subscribes to
- if you need to use Interlibrary Loan to obtain the article
- Academic OneFile
A good source for peer-reviewed, full-text articles from a selection of leading journals in the field of social sciences, theology, literature and philosophy (and other areas).
- Philosopher’s Index
Indexes and abstracts books and scholarly journals of philosophy and related fields in many languages.
A full text database of unique and diverse publications that focus on how gender impacts a broad spectrum of subject areas.
- Humanities Full Text
Indexes and abstracts articles in more than 300 periodicals in archaeology, art , classics, film, folklore, journalism, linguistics, music, the performing arts, philosophy, religion, world history and world literature.