Use the online Library Catalog to find books and journal titles, whether in print or online format. The Library's catalog has a number of different search options: keyword and subject searches are good starting points when first exploring a topic. Search results can narrowed with facets, which appear to the right of the results. Topic, era, language are some of the available facets.
- Books about your topic: Search by subject – “genetic engineering”
- Find related books? See the right side column facet list for more links to books on your topic, maybe Medical, Genetics, or Bioethic
- Click on one of the book titles and note the subject links to related books on your topic
- Use Boolean statements to combine topics: terrorism AND ethics
- Use quotation marks for phrases: “affirmative action”
E-Z Borrow and Interlibrary Loan
Interlibrary loan is available for books and journals that are not owned by Falvey. EZ-Borrow is generally faster than interlibrary loan, since the books come from a local library network. EZ-Borrow can also be used for books that the Library owns, but that are currently unavailable. (There is no charge for this service.)
Falvey Memorial Library has a wide variety of multi-volume encyclopedias in print as well as online. These encyclopedias are a good starting point for any research project. Encyclopedia articles are generally written by scholars and include bibliographical references. Ask a librarian for advice to find the best encyclopedia for your project.
Links to online encyclopedias can be found in the Library Catalog.
- Encyclopedia of Applied Ethics
Available in print, 1st floor Falvey [REF BJ63.E44 1998]
Available in print, 1st floor Falvey [REF BJ63.E54 2004]
- Encyclopedia of Bioethics
- Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- New Dictionary of the History of Ideas
- Encyclopedia of Education
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy
- Encyclopedia of Business Ethics and Society
- Encyclopedia of Science, Technology, and Ethics
- Encyclopedia of Sociology
- Encyclopedia of Religion
The databases are listed on the Falvey home page under Databases A to Z or Subject Guides/Ethics/Articles.
Some entries have full text via the database.
For others, click on to determine
- if there are online links to the article
- if it is a journal the library subscribes to
- if you need to use Interlibrary Loan to obtain the article
- Academic OneFile
- Opposing Viewpoints
- Philosopher’s Index
- ATLA Religion Database
- Catholic Periodical and Literature Index Online
Subject specific databases
- PubMed (bioethics)
- Social Sciences Full Text
- ABI/Inform Global (business)
- Education Full Text
- Communication Abstracts
- Research and Documentation Online
Guide to the major documentation styles
- Chicago Manual of Style Online
Never type a bibliography again! RefWorks will help you easily gather, manage, and store bibliographic citations for all types of information, as well as generate footnotes and bibliographies.