Encyclopedias, Companions & Handbooks
4 volumes edited by James R. Millar. New York: Macmillan, 2004.
International Encyclopedia of Revolution and Protest: 1500 to the Present
Online encyclopedia edited by Immanuel Ness. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009.
Encyclopedia of European Social History
Online encyclopedia edited by Peter N. Stearns. Detroit: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2001.
Modern Encyclopedia of Russian and Soviet History
60 print volumes.
Companion to Russian History
Online companion edited by Abbott Gleason. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009.
Cambridge History of Russia
3 volumes available through Cambridge Histories Online: From Early Russia to 1689 (Vol. 1, 2006); Imperial Russia, 1689-1917 (Vol. 2, 2006); The Twentieth Century (Vol. 3, 2006).
Oxford Handbook of Modern Russian History
Longman Companion to Imperial Russia, 1689-1917
Falvey West Stacks, 2nd floor: DK113 .L66 2000
Longman Companion to Russia since 1914
Falvey West Stacks, 2nd floor: DK266 .M353 1998
Oxford Handbook of Modern Russian History edited by Simon Dixon (forthcoming).
- Martin, Alexander M. "Revolutionaries, Reactionaries and the Dilemmas of Russian Conservatism." Oxford Handbooks Online. doi:10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199236701.013.012.
- Gorsuch, Anne E. "Bolshevism Debated, 1921–1932." Oxford Handbooks Online. doi: 10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199236701.013.022.
- Smith, Mark B. "The Life of the Soviet Worker." Oxford Handbooks Online. doi:10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199236701.013.026.
Books / Monographs
The Library's catalog enables patrons to search & browse Falvey Memorial Library’s collection of books, journals, audio/video materials, electronic resources and more.
Presents a combined catalog of the catalogs of more than 10,000 libraries worldwide. WorldCat highlights publications available at Villanova University. Other items can be requested via an inter-library loan request form. WorldCat Step-by-Step is a self-paced interactive tutorial for students new to this resource.
Books and book chapters in the Library's print collection are an important source of critical literature. Take advantage of the different search options available in the library's catalog. Start with a keyword search and use the hyper-linked subjects to further narrow your search results. Facets can also be used to limit search results. Topic, region, era, and language are some of the available facets.
Keyword search: tsar* or czar*
Subject search: emperor* and Russia
Keyword search: commissar* and soviet
Subject search: communists and "soviet union"
Subject search: Russia and "ethnic relations"
Subject search: minorities and "Soviet Union"
Subject search: (Islam or muslims) and "Soviet Union"
Subject search: Russia and revolution and 1905
Subject search: "Soviet Union" and revolution and 1917
Primary sources published in books:
Author search: Lenin, Vladimir
Subject search: "Revolution, 1917-1921" and "Personal narratives"
Subject search: "Soviet Union" and revolution and sources
Subject search: "Soviet Union" and "political prisoners" and biography
Subject search: serfs and biography
The most efficient approach to discovering available memoirs in the library's catalog is the author search menu option. Before you rush to grab one of these memoirs, click on the links below and check availability. You can use EZ-Borrow to request a copy from another library if the Falvey copy is already checked out. Or find more memoirs by typing the names of your favorite revolutionaries and tsarists into the catalog. Feel free to ask for help.
- "Catherine II, Empress of Russia, 1729-1796."
- Durova, N. A. 1783-1866. The Cavalry Maiden: Journals of a Russian Officer in the Napoleonic Wars. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1988.
Falvey West Stacks, 2nd floor: DK190.6.D8A3 1988
- Figner, Vera. Memoirs of a Revolutionist. DeKalb, [Ill.]: Northern Illinois University Press, 1991.
Falvey Main Stacks, 3rd floor: HX313.8.F54A3 1991
- "Kropotkin, Petr Alekseevich, kni︠a︡zʹ, 1842-1921."
Kropotkin's Memoirs of a Revolutionist is also available online.
Falvey Main Stacks, 3rd floor: HX915 .K92
- "Herzen, Aleksandr, 1812-1870."
- "Gorky, Maksim, 1868-1936."
- "Scott, John, 1912-"
- "Ginzburg, Evgenii︠a︡ Semenovna."
- "Serge, Victor, 1890-1947."
- "Trotsky, Leon, 1879-1940."
- Kanatchikov, S. 1879-1940. A Radical Worker in Tsarist Russia: The Autobiography of Semën Ivanovich Kanatchikov. Stanford, Calif.: Stanford University Press, 1986.
Falvey Main Stacks, 3rd floor: HD8527.K36 A3513 1986
- "Allilueva, Svetlana, 1925-"
An annotated reference guide to the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present. Provides indexing of more than 2,300 academic historical journals in over 40 languages back to 1955 as well as book reviews and dissertations.
A Short Introduction to Historical Abstracts is a self-paced interactive tutorial for students new to this resource.
Provides a full-text archive of academic journals and books in the humanities, social sciences and mathematics. The most recent three to five years of a journal are usually not included.
Slavonic and East European Review