Tips for Access to Library Resources
- Library subscription databases are authenticated with a single sign on. Once you login to a single database with your Villanova email user name and password you will have access to all others.
- You will not be able to access known library resources by simply Googling them.
- Firewalls at workplaces are a common impediment to accessing library databases. To avoid this problem find an open network connection elsewhere. Few employers IT departments are willing to adjust firewalls.
- If your can not get onto a database on the weekend, REPORT DATABASE SERVICE INTERRUPTIONS to Access Services 610-519-4270 and UNIT 610-519-7777
The Falvey Library HRD Research Playlist is a great place for auditory and visual learners to find out how to use library research materials.
When you have an idea for a research project, it is often helpful to place your questions within the context of the literature. Scholarly encyclopedias and bibliographies do just that. Of course you will also need to search the literature via article databases for "literature reviews" and research studies, but first see if your topic is covered by either of these sources.Oxford Bibliographies (Oxford University Press) Tutorial
Business Abstracts with Full Text (EBSCO)
Business Source Premier (EBSCO)
Communication & Mass Media Complete (EBSCO)
Conference Board Business & Economics Portfolio
EconLit with Full Text (EBSCO)
Nexis Uni Limitations on Use
LexisNexis online services and the materials contained therein are under copyright by LexisNexis. All rights reserved. No part of these Services may be used except for research purposes, and the Services may not be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise without the prior written permission of the LexisNexis Academic Library Solutions. Materials retrieved from the Services may not be duplicated in hard copy or machine-readable form without the prior written authorization of LexisNexis Academic & Library Solutions, except that limited reproduction of output is permitted solely for individual use by the Authorized User or internal distribution within the Subscribing Institution in accordance with the terms of this Agreement unless further limited or prohibited by the Copyright Act of 1976. Under no circumstances may the Materials or any portion thereof be used to create derivative products or services.
Philadelphia Business Journal (American City Business Journals)
PsycINFO (ProQuest) Tutorial
Practice advanced search features with the interactive PsycINFO Tutorial.
O'Reilly for Higher Education Tutorial Access Instructions
1. To go the O'Reilly welcome page.
2. On the landing page, under the Select your institution drop down menu, choose, "Not Listed? Click here."
3. Enter your Villanova email address and click the red Let's Go button.
4. Use https://learning.oreilly.com/home/
to access O'Reilly after account creation.
4. If you get a 404 error, link to "try searching"
Download the O’Reilly app to access your account from any mobile device. App is available on the App Store or Google Play.
Academic integrity guidelines mandate the attribution of sources used in written work. Commonly scholarly academic writers use the American Psychological Association (APA) Style. The complete APA Style Manual is not available online, but you can link to reliable aids listed below.
The citation management softwares listed below help you generate and organize references, but are not a substitute for knowing the style. When you use them, verify the accuracy of the citations created. Databases such as PsychInfo, ABI Inform & Business Source Premier have handy citation generation tools, but you should check their accuracy too.Purdue OWL: APA
Evaluating Journals and Articles
Journal metrics & rankings are imperfect but frequently used ways to gage the quality of research studies. The following tools publish journal level metrics such as impact factor, immediacy index,& H Index to name a few. For definitions and keys to understanding these metrics use the help links.
Peer reviewed research articles need to be evaluated for quality by considering the research methods, data used and analysis provided. Nonetheless metrics such as citation counts do suggest which papers are garnering attention. The following business databases offer article level metrics.