Use our catalog to find e-books by limiting the search format to "books" and "online". Note that this search will include not only recently published e-books but also digital government reports and historical documents.
If you'd like to browse e-books by platform or publisher platform, use these links. Some e-book platforms have content for only limited subjects whereas others have e-books from many academic and professional disciplines.EBSCOhost eBook Collection
ProQuest Ebook Central
Business Expert Press
Synthesis Digital Library of Engineering and Computer Science
Formats & Digital Rights Management (DRM)
- The list below shows the download formats used by our various e-book suppliers.
- All of our e-book content can be read online with an active internet connection.
- The interfaces are not optimized for tablet or mobile viewing and work best with laptops.
- Ebrary and EBSCOhost book chapters may also be downloaded in PDF format.
- Adobe Digital Editions supports restrictive digital rights management (DRM). Most e-books compatible with this program expire after the checkout period.
- DRM on Adobe Digital Editions precludes downloading and transferring e-books on library PCs. You must use a personal computer with Adobe Digital Editions registered to the individual user.
- PDF books can be downloaded in whole or part and are yours for keeps.
Adobe Digital Editions
|Business Expert Press||ebrary|
|Synthesis Digital Library|
- Browse or search the e-book collection via our Book Catalog or one of the e-book databases listed above.
- Preview e-book full text.
- If you only need a chapter download or email it in PDF format. This is a kindness to other potential users as the book will remain available to all.
- Before downloading the book to read offline, install a free copy of Adobe Digital Editions onto your laptop.
- Create an EBSCOhost or ebrary account and sign in. You do not have to use a Villanova email address.
- Download the e-book and it will automatically be available for reading in Adobe Digital Editions.
- Checked out e-books expire after 7 days.
- If you want to download an e-book already in use, place a hold on it and receive an email notification when it is available for checkout.
- Kindle Fire, Nook and Sony E-readers users can transfer e-books to their device via Adobe Digital Editions. Kindle Readers do not support this functionality.
- iPad's do not support Adobe Digital Editions. Ebscohost and ebrary e-books may be downloaded directly on the tablet with a reader application.
- When using a public workstation you can checkout an EBSCOhost e-book but you can not download it to a public workstation because Adobe Digital Editions must be registered to an individual. An EBSCOhost e-book that is checked out can be downloaded to a personal machine by signing in and accessing the folder.
- Ebrary e-books should not be downloaded in their entirety at a public workstation because they cannot be transferred to another device easily. Ebrary e-books downloaded to public workstations will only be available to the individual logged into that workstation from that workstation.
- Dedicated e-readers (Nook, Kindle Fire, Sony eReader) and touchscreen tablets with e-reader apps can be more comfortable for reading e-books than computers. They fit in your hand like a book, touch screens facilitate advancing the page and they all offer convenient tools such as keyword searching and bookmarking with notes.
- If you are using a Kindle Fire download Aldiko Book Reader App, and transfer the file from Adobe Digital Editions to your Kindle Fire.
- If you are using an iPad download the Bluefire Reader App for Apple iOS. EBSCOhost e-books and ebrary e-books will automatically open in the Bluefire reader.
- If you are using a Barnes & Noble Nook or Sony eReader Touch edition, transfer the file from Adobe Digital Editions on your computer to your device. With the Nook the book appears in the I Library. The Sony eReader has not been tested by Falvey Memorial Library.
- Mobile devices can be used to read EBSCOhost and ebrary e-books with reader apps such as txtr, Bluefire or Aldiko. Find the one compatible with your operating system and preferences.
- The Amazon Kindle and Kindle Touch are not compatible with the e-books offered by Falvey Memorial Library.